by Tim Alatorre
Posted on August 6, 2010
Stephanie (Green) Silkwood, Assoc AIA, LEED AP completely disrupts the order of the show, Haley is in the future and the title of Architect is being undermined by the IT industry.
Cal Poly News
- Los Angeles Metro Program
- “It is our goal to make this an exciting program that will introduce our students to living and working in Los Angeles, and assist them to begin their professional careers.”
- Glidden Named Interim Cal Poly President
- Began on August 1st
- A Font of Ideas From a ‘Nomadic’ Humanitarian Architect
- Everyone’s an architect
- Calatrava Unveils Design for Major Denver Airport Project
- “The bridge and hotel are expected to be completed by 2013. The train station will be completed two years later, and commuter-rail service is scheduled to begin service in 2016.”
- Building Information Modeling: Risks and Rewards
- “If those proficient in using BIM are not the individuals making design judgments, the initial architectural firm runs the risk of miscommunication, which can lead to design errors.”
Not so Rapid Fire Questions
- Cal Poly or Berkeley? Cal Poly
- Autocad or Revit? AutoCAD – she can’t work on Revit and listen to our show at the same time
- Parallel bar or T-Square? T-square – it’s much more affordable
- Facebook or LinkedIn or Myspace? LinkedIn
- Arch Record, Arch Digest, or Architect? Record – JOE WEBER!!!
- Drafting dots or tape? Tape – it also makes a good bandaid in studio
- Yellow trace or white? White – it scans better
- Ad Markers or Prisma? Ad – because Haley says they’re better
- Pen or Pencil? Pencil – she likes to shade things
- Mac or PC? Mac, even though she uses a PC, but it’s only becuase she’s a native to Cupertino
- What’s the Meaning of Life? Vitality!
- Who are you?
- Graduated in ’08 from Cal Poly
- Since then she’s gotten married (she used to be Stephanie Green)
- She works in San Jose with RMW
- She’s become very involved with the AIA and is currently the Associate Director for AIASCV (Santa Clara Valley).
- Why did she become involved with the AIA?
- She was involved with AIAS and CSI back at Cal Poly, got pretty involved while she was a student so it carried on after graduation.
- She’s found it’s helped with knowledge of licensure, networking, and such.
- What’s going on with her AIA Santa Clara Valley Chapter?
- They do monthly events, social and educational
- She has a great committee (made up of lots of Cal Poly Grads)
- Recent manufacturer tour
- Recent tour of Adobe Headquarters
- Weekly ARE study group
- Coming IDP Presentation in October
- Involvement in the AIA California Council Academy for Emerging Professionals (AEP)
- Last weekend was the Statewide Forum, down in Burbank at Woodbury University
- Many regions throughout the country are looking to the AIA California Council AEP to see what they do and perhaps model their own Emerging Professional groups after their work
- The AEP supports Emerging Professionals, their interests, provides support in their career path, mentorship opportunites, networking, fellowship, leadership opportunities, and so on!!
- Emerging Professionals Survey
- Economy talk…
- Stephanie came into her job just before the economy really started to turn downhilll
- She works at a firm where she feels that she really belongs there, it’s a culture she wants to be a part of and that’s factored into her work there and dedication
- Enthusiasm and having a good attitude are always a good thing
- Facebook privacy settings…
- Just be careful, be aware of what’s out there about you…
- Google yourself and see what others can see!