Recorded: January 4th, 2012
Published: January 6th, 2012
theStudio 088: New Year's Floats
- New Facebook Fans
- Arif Kartal
- Nuno Varela
- Carlos Nava
Cal Poly News
- Rose Parade float wins peoples’ choice award again!
- http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-2012-rose-parade-pictures-20120102,0,4757686.photogallery image #7
- Brian Vargo (B.Arch 2011) thesis' project HYPER (under the mentorship of Prof. Doug Jackson) was announced as a finalist in an international competition by theCouncil on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat. For additional information, go toBrian Vargo's competition entry. Brian is currently working in Copenhagen, Denmark with the architecture firm JaJa.
- He’s going to be on the show later this month!
- Dominic Leong (B.Arch 2001) was featured in the Architectural Record's article "Two architect brothers sought different mentors, then opened their own firm. With budgets big and small, they are designing through the recession" by Fred A. Bernstein. For additional information, go toDominic Leong/Architectural Record
- Eric Thomas Nulman (B.Arch 1999) has been awarded the 2011-12 ACSA New Faculty Teaching Award Juror Comments: Eric’s work foregrounds the as yet unanswered question of what the aesthetic embodiment could be for the field’s growing interest in sustainability. He does this by offering studio courses that explore the affective potentials for design in a range of materials (from the artificial to the natural). For additional information, go toACSA/Awards 2011-12
- Next Hearst Lecture - “Situation + Subterranea”
- Annie Chu and Rick Gooding, Architect and founding principals of Chu+Gooding Architects
- Friday, January 6th, 2012, at 4:00pm
- Business Rotunda (03-213)
COOOOL MOW (material of the week)
- AGT - Ambient Glow Technology - blend of non-shrinking, extremely hard polyester resin and photoluminescent pigment.
- Exhibiting extremely high luminosity, AGT was specifically formulated for use in decorative concrete, concrete, stucco, plasters, cementitious overlays, terrazzo, and epoxy applications. AGT aggregates produce an unusual ambient light source, enhancing safety in low light level conditions for over 12 hours after exposure to sunlight for only 10 minutes. The application of AGT in exterior landscaping projects can actually reduce the need for electrically-powered lighting by up to 70% per evening. AGT’s daylight or ‘native’ color is off-white, and afterglow colors are available in yellow-green, aqua blue and sky blue.
- Top 10 Design Milestones for 2011- for Public Good
- Top 10 Design Milestones to watch for 2012 - for Public Good
- IDP 2.0 is on it’s way. “Final Phase” April 3rd, 2012
- Galt’s Christmas Present - receives $2 million grant and special recognition for their infill project - GO Galt!!
- Pei’s National Gallery Stripped
- Santa Monica’s “Green Street”
- Unemployment soars for architects
- "Notable remark or comment."
- -- Person @ MP3 time code
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by sloArch staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|