by Tim Alatorre
Posted on April 8, 2011
Donna Duerk, Emeritus Architecture Professor, scuba diver, and space architecture expert, enlightens us authoring a textbook by committee, designing a moon base to learn sustainability, and outlines the amazing path her career has taken.
Don’t forget to tell your friends about us, join our Facebook Group, leave reviews on iTunes, vote for us on Podcast Alley, and follow us on Twitter!
- New Facebook Fans
- Ken LoFrano
Cal Poly News
- Join Tom di Santo at the recently completed Contraband Caffé Gallery (by M:oME) this Saturday, April 9th, 2011. Reception takes place on Saturday at 6pm.
- The paintings will be up until Saturday 7 May, 2011.
- The exhibit will include 31 framed and unframed architectural watercolour sketches and seasonal abstracts.
- Press Release Contraband Caffé Gallery.
- Hearst Lecture this Friday
- Arch Department to reimburse the first 40 students on the NCARB record!
- Cal Poly Job Fair
- Green roof industry grew by 28.5% in 2010
- Chicago: 500,000 sf
- “Government investment in green roofs for their stormwater, air quality, green space, and city cooling benefits largely fuels the growth of our industry”
- White House under construction
- 20 Questions with the other Uncle Frank
- “The best advice I’ve received is to be yourself”
- “I used to sketch—that’s the way I thought out loud. Then they made a book of my sketches and I got self-conscious, so now I don’t do it much. I’ve got to do that more.”
- “I can’t stand the aesthetes, the minimal thing. I can’t live that way. My home has to be filled with stuff”
- “I can’t retire. I’m 82. It’s too young.”
- Reactions to Calatrava bridge issues
- NJ Wright House for sale, move to Hamptons included
- summering in star-archiecture in style
Rapid Fire Questions:
- Cal Poly or Berkeley? Poly
- Autocad or Revit? Neither
- Parallel bar or T-Square? Bar
- Facebook or LinkedIn? Neither
- Arch Record, Arch Digest, or Architect? Record
- Drafting dots or tape? Tape
- Yellow trace or white? Either
- Ad Markers or Prisma? Prisma
- Mac or PC? Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac…!
- Pen or Pencil? Pencil
- What’s the Meaning of Life? 42
SCORE: ?? Tim forgot to give one!
- Tell us about your love for space?
- Sputinik! Apollo!
- What has been your roll with the AIAA and the SATC?
- In 1985 did a project for the Western Space Port and Science Museum
- Mark Coen
- Test things on Earth, then the Moon, and then Mars
- Working on writing a text book for teaching Space Architecture
- When will people finally live on the moon?
- Why architecture?
- Blend of art and science
- Mother of interior design
- What brought you from North Carolina and MIT to Cal Poly?
- ACSA conference
- Why are you licenced in Texas?
- Ended up finding work in Houston Texas with CRS, 1970’s
- Worked for facilities planning department at University of Houston
- You authored “Architectural Programming: Information Management for Design” in 1993 what was that experience like?
- Started teaching in 1981
- Used in MIT Chinese program, Ohio, Mexico
- “As far as I know, this is the Omnibus of Programming reference books….Just grit your teeth and pay the price for this one, because you’ll need it!”
- Any plans for updating the book?
- 25% needs to be new for a reissue, not quite there yet.
- Architecture is still about designing for people.
- What are you plans for the future?
- So busy I can hardly stand it
- Master gardener, sustainability
- Writing a book
- Scuba diving
- Clean water, ocean, organic gardening, it’s all intertwined, the beauty of the planet
- What advice would you give to current Cal Poly Architecture students?
- Love what you do and do what you can
- Architecture has so many aspects, if you look hard enough you can find a piece you like.
- Technology Scholarship, you can donate soon. We’ll have details soon. For freshman to get all of their software paid for or a computer. Duerk Technology Enhancement Award. Through Cal Poly Foundation