January 14th 2011
The obsession over real estate prices, Frank Gehry, and really cool green stuff continues. Plus a rather disjointed tribute to Uncle Frank as Taliesin celebrates it’s 100th anniversary.
Don’t forget to tell your friends about us, join our Facebook Group, leave reviews on iTunes, vote for us on Podcast Alley, and follow us on Twitter!
- We’re still looking for Assistant Producer
- New store launched January. 50% of proceeds will go toward the new scholarship fund.
Cal Poly News
- Hearst Lecture this Friday
- Wolf Mangelsdorf: Buro Happold
- Friday, January 14th, 2011 at 4:00pm
- Business Rotunda (03-213)
- Jim Bagnall, Jake Feldman, Art Chapman and Chuck Crotser are doing another series of 3 sketch workshops this quarter in the Berg Gallery.
- Sunday, January 23 from 8am – noon
- Sunday, February 6 from 8am – noon
- Sunday, February 27 from 8am – noon
- Frank Lloyd Wright
- June 8, 1867 – April 9, 1959 (aged 91)
- Wright was recognized in 1991 by the AIA as “the greatest American architect of all time” http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/jul2004/nf20040728_3153_db078.htm
- Marking a Century for Frank Lloyd Wright’s Taliesin
- “So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright – Simon and Garfunkel”
- Jazz flute FTW!
- Album: Bridge Over Troubled Water Released: 1970
- Art Garfunkel dared Paul Simon to write a song about Frank Lloyd Wright. This song was the answer to that dare.
- Garfunkel once studied to be an architect because he thought his career as a musician would never pan out.
- Housing Market Slips Into Depression Territory
- “November marked the 53rd consecutive month (4 ½ years) that home values have fallen.”
- Homes values are still higher than they were at the bottom – Jan 2009
- Now is the time to buy!? … or wait a few more months
- For Sale: The House From Ferris Bueller
- This ‘ark’ is green, floats and could house 10,000 people
- The movie “2012” come to life?
- “The building (would have an) organized community which has everything necessary for its prosperity and growth.”
- “With the help of the architect union’s Russian Council of Sustainable Buildings, he added, The Ark will one day be realized.”
- Ani – Ghost City of 1001 Churches
- The Greatest Building in New York
- Diller on building next to Gehry
- Los Angeles Times architecture critic Christopher Hawthorne reports that Diller Scofidio + Renfro partner Elizabeth Diller isn’t intimidated by designing the Broad, Eli Broad’s new downtown Los Angeles art museum, in the shadow of Frank Gehry’s Walt Disney Concert Hall. “We tried to create a very different building,” Diller says. “Where Disney Hall is smooth and shiny and reflects light, this building really wants to be the opposite: matte and porous”
- The Next Normal
- “You Can Do Better”
- Arch Record
- Digital issue of arch record now… cover is similar topic to Architect mag… interesting on the choices of cover (black male and Asian female) like a last ditch effort to show diversity…
- University of Awesome