The Studio 36: Googoo Eyed Neophytes
by Tim Alatorre
Posted on September 3, 2010
ARE, AutoCad, City Beautiful, Employment, Frank Gehry, Mac, St. Louis, Week Of Welcome, WOW
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (31.6MB)
Subscribe: iTunes | Android | RSS
We reach 100 fans on Facebook, talk about finding jobs, AutoCad is back on the Mac, and Tim rambles on about architects working for free.
Don’t forget to tell your friends about us, join our Facebook Group, leave reviews on iTunes, vote for us on Podcast Alley, and follow us on Twitter!
- 20 new fans this week, we broke 100!
- Joseph Smith
- Carol Horn Davis
- Rosa Elva Alvarado
- Jennifer Lynn Richardson
- Spencer Bittner
- Greg Poloynis
- Lili Etessam
- Elahe Khodaei Gheidari
- Lindsey Engels
- Daryl Wells
- Forest King
- Ryan Ghere
- Theresa Stanton
- Dan Angelesco
- Bob Hightower
- Taryn Mickus
- Farid Shahid – number 100!!
- Alexander Tsai
- Eric Stimmel
- Steve Grossenbacher
Cal Poly News
- Week of Welcome (WOW) coming up Sept. 15-19
- September 2010 Fall term classes begin
- Make No Little Plans: Daniel Burnham and the American City
- Architect and planner Daniel Hudson Burnham. In the midst of late 19th century urban disorder, Burnham offered a powerful vision of what a civilized American city could look like. He built some of the first skyscrapers in the world; directed construction of the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition that inspired the City Beautiful Movement; and created urban plans for Washington DC, Chicago, Cleveland, San Francisco and Manila—all before the profession of urban planning existed. In fact, some say that he invented it.
- The Architecture Job Application Hints & Suggestions from Employers
- St. Louis Arch Competition Weaves Together a City, a River, and its History and Culture
- When a winner is selected on Sept. 24, this new relationship between monument and city will be unveiled, and it will be realized by 2015, when the competition mandates that the plan must be completed. Organizers are also seeking public comments about the design.
- Self-Inflicted Losses
- How long will rock-bottom prices continue to plague the profession? Only time, and the economy, will tell. Hickock, for one, is cautiously optimistic. “We have just begun to inch up fees,” he says, but “we can’t tell yet whether they are sticking or not.”
- AutoCAD returns to the Mac, mobile app offered
- Presale began today, Sept 1st for $3,995
- Review your ARE scores online with CAB!
- You have 180 days to review them
- On the Boards: Signature Center by Frank Gehry
- The new facility will feature a 299-seat end-stage theater and two 199-seat flexible theaters. It also will have a shared lobby, dual-rehearsal studios, administrative offices, a bookstore, and a café.