The Studio 56: Don’t Press the Space Bar
by Tim Alatorre
Posted on January 21, 2011
AIA, Bart Alford, CAED, Chicago, Clark Manus, Frank Gehry, Haiti, Henry Cobb, Ikea, John Hancock Tower, LA Metro Program, NAAB, Royce Chow, Solar Power
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (8.3MB)
Subscribe: iTunes | Android | RSS
Tim declares a ban on Gehry, Uncle Frank becomes a professor, and Haley is impressed by Google. We geek out about Revit and Bart is back in the CAED shop.
Don’t forget to tell your friends about us, join our Facebook Group, leave reviews on iTunes, vote for us on Podcast Alley, and follow us on Twitter!
- We’re still looking for Assistant Producer
- New store launched January. 50% of proceeds will go toward the new scholarship fund.
- Let us know if you’ve passed and ARE and get exclusive sloArch gear.
- New Facebook Fans
- Gary F Harcourt
- Michelle Checkis
Cal Poly News
- No Hearst Lecture this week
- NAAB Visiting Team visit: 2.12.11-2.17.11
- During the 2011 Winter quarter, a Visiting Team of the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) will be on campus to review the Architecture Department as part of the 2010 Procedures for Accreditation.
- Royce Chow is having a baby! Or at least his wife is.
- Support Shop Technician Royce Chow will be taking a 6-week leave and we have arranged to have Bart Alford “ fill in “ while Royce is away. As a part of the extended CAED family, Bart was our former Support Shop Supervisor and we are very pleased he is able to return and assist us as a retired annuitant during this time.
- Open Shop Hours Beginning January 24th
- Student Project Access:
- Mondays 1pm-4pm
- Tuesdays 9am-9pm
- Wednesday 9am-9pm
- Thursdays 9am-9pm
- Fridays 9am-4pm
- Saturdays 11am-7pm
- Exceptions due to staffing:
- Wednesday, February 2nd: 9am-4pm
- Thursday, February 3rd: 9am-4pm
- Saturday, February 5th: closed
- Tuesday February 8th: 9am-4pm
- LA Metro Program – fourth year NEW
- Prof. Stephen Phillips will be conducting a two quarter long fourth year design studio during Winter and Spring quarter 2012.For additional information, please visit the off-campus LA Metro Program web page (to be uploaded 1.19.11)
- Cal Poly to Help Build New Haiti Built Environment Resource Center
- New design competitions!
- Architect Frank Gehry Named Judge Widney Professor at USC
- Frank Gehry is a USC alumni??
- Tim declares a ban on all Frank Gehry news
- What is the value of AIA membership?
- Twenty-five Year Award Bestowed on John Hancock Tower in Boston
- Clark Manus, FAIA, 2011 AIA President
- “Inaugural Address Inspires Design Visions of the Future that Rest on the AIA’s Historic Past”
- Ikea Goes Solar
- Sweden-based furniture store Ikea has applied for a permit to install solar panels on its store in Costa Mesa, Calif., one of seven stores in the state where they plan to do so. Mona Shadia reports that it will be the largest commercial photovoltaic rooftop system in the city